Are You in DNF Denial?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Participant

There are some circumstances where I don’t log a DNF when I’ve searched and can’t find it. Basically I’m very aware that CO’s use DNF logs to decide whether to swing by and check on it. Also, some people won’t try a cache if the last log is a DNF, so I don’t want to put them off.

I only skip a DNF log when it’s clearly my own fault that I cant find it.. i.e. Trying to cache in the dark with no torch, or if my gpsr battery runs out and I’m trying to do it by the “I’m sure it’s around here somewhere” tactic.

I have logged a couple of nanos where I’ve not signed the log because I can’t get it open, but both times have ensured I have a photo of the cache in hand for proof AND tell the CO in the log.

Keymaster

Yet another candidate: “We’ll have to admit defeat on this one. We spotted some suitable locations for a clever hide, but they proved to be wrong. It was good fun, and with help from some youngsters we might have gone further.”

Obviously a DNF, but no another “Write Note” 🙁

Participant

Well, well, well! Update on the saga involving one of my caches; a nomads retreat. If you don’t know the background please read my previous posts on here.

I went to the cache to check if it was there. It was. In exactly the spot it should be in! The 15 people who have so far found my cache have had no problems with the coords etc.

‘Pebbles and co’ wanted to log this cache without having found it!

It seems to me she travelled from Wiltshire and had set herself a target of x amount of caches in an area. She had already decided that every cache attempted would be a cache found. A smiley. But, that was Not to be. So in a lame attempt to cheat she asked if she could log it without finding it.

She even told me in her log AND an email that she had recently broken her wrist.

The cache is not difficult but is not a piece of cake. You do need a degree of fitness. But this IS reflected in the terrain rating.

I’m glad I stuck to my guns. My standards of caching are obviously not as high as a tiny minority.

Vodkashots
    Participant

I only came on here for some cache info (not that i can find much!) but i wanted to register so i could comment – I found Nomad’s Retreat yesterday, took TB and signed log (with an actual pen using the log from the actual cache whilst the 3 geohounds waited at the bottom with their leads secured to a sturdy, unspikey gorse branch so they couldn’t terrorize the local livestock) I sprained my ankle a few months ago and it still gives me gip – mostly climbing…..so basically i am THRILLED that Finderman has not let P&C change her log to a smilie! I read the log just before I logged my find and was totally gobsmacked that she even had the nerve to ask. On all my DNF’s, there has always been loads of time, effort and frustration involved – but i still log them as DNFs!
    Cool website BTW 🙂

Keymaster

Hi Vodkashots – welcome to our web site and thank you for your reply to this topic and your closing comment, most appreciated. Please let me know what you were looking for when you visited the web site and I will try and help you. Many thanks again, Dave. Email: davidgmartin@me.com

Vodkashots
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome Dave 🙂
    no worries on info…..looking for those pesky letter=number for your puzzle caches, but got A and C so far and am continuing to search!

Participant

I logged my 100th DNF yesterday, can’t grumble too much though as it was a wonderful cache location – Shavercombe Brook waterfall.

qrang
    Participant

A little bird has just informed us that our log on FOC 24 was being debated here. As we were not then members of this website we were not in a position to comment until now.

Just to set the record straight about our log on JOC 24.
    Normally we would log a DNF in these circumstances. We have logged hundreds of DNFs on various caches that we haven’t found for one reason or another.

In this case, there was subsequent correspondence with the CO and they gave us permission to log as a find.

I note that after our log on March 15th, 2013, Hobo and Miss had exectly the same experience as us and after discussion with the CO they were also given permission to log as a find which they have done.

I think it is reasonable that if a CO feels that the reason that the log was not signed was that the cache failed in some way they should be able to offer a find. In our experience some COs are generous in this way, others not.

Participant

I reiterate what i’ve said before. If I hadn’t found a cache due to it being well hidden or muggled. Why would you want to ask the co to log it? I’ve lost count of the number of walks I’ve done and not found a cache. That’s part of the game. There’s always another day. Another opportunity to find the difficult ones.

qrang
    Participant

We didn’t ask the CO if we could log it.

We sent a note to the CO explaining what had happened at GZ, how we had found the device, pumped lots of air into the system, but that the cache container had got stuck in the tube.

It was the CO who then offered to allow us to claim a find as we had done all the correct things but the mechanism had failed.

If the CO hadn’t made the offer we would have registered a DNF.

Keymaster

“Finderman* found Joy of Caching – No. 24 (Traditional Cache) at 6/13/2013

Log Date: 6/13/2013
    You guys are incredibly inventive I don’t know how you do it! Well done for another brilliant cache.”

I hope you signed the log 😉

Participant

Firstly I would like to apologise to qrang. I visited the aforementioned cache today. Now I know what is involved I can totally understand how it may be difficult to sign.

In keeping with this topic I had 2 DNF’ s today taking my total to 4 DNF’ s this week.

Dave in answer to your question….YES!

Jaughan
    Participant

My protocols on this are;

If I don’t get to carry out a complete search in for whatever reason, I write a note.
    If I do not find the cache I write a DNF note unless there is good reason. There is a cache I would dearly love to find, I’ve visited 4 times, dnf’d four times, posted three dnf logs, been polite enough to not ask for assistance from the c/o and writing a fourth dnf log seemed rather pointless as others have found the cache in the meantime. And the c/o is a hard man!!

I do think that cache owners ought to consider granting finds more regularly to people who post dnfs on caches which subsequently turn out to have disappeared. Under no circumstances should a cache owner grant a find to anyone who asks for it but a poster of a dnf log who provides helpful, clear assistance to the c/o ought to be rewarded for it.

The worst case that I have come across of a claimed find that wasn’t, was this: Two years ago, a day before a big wedding in London (so you can find it in my caching record!!), I went caching with my two kids in Snowdonia. We did a series that had been published a couple of months previously and as it was in thoroughly awkward countryside no one had done the series as one walk. One cache we came to had one online log but a blank logbook. The online log had lots of photos but not of this cache. So the cacher had claimed a FTF when he hadn’t found the cache. I claimed the FTF in my log and the local FTF hound did the cache the next day after reading my log. He was not amused! In this case, he was cheated out of a FTF but I agree with the comment that cheaters are cheating only themselves.

I recommend the caches in that area and all caches by that particular owner- all great.

Participant

Not on Dartmoor but if anyone is in Paignton and likes climbing trees please try this cache – GC4DA63, i’ve had four DNF’s on it already.
    It did make me think though that sometimes writing DNF’s is more fun than writing found logs.

Keymaster

I thought I had better own up to this log: “I normally disapprove of Write Note logs when they should be DNFs, but I feel we were justified today. We had just found Heathfield Walkies and we thought we would search for this also. However, as soon as I turned into the road I saw that somebody was sat on the bench, so we drove right past. The only trouble with placing caches near or under benches is that people tend to sit on them and it’s a bit rude to ask them to move 😳 !”

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.